The purpose of introducing the producer responsibility for packaging is, among other things, to create financial incentives to design packaging which is less harmful to the environment and the climate. The overall principles are therefore about keeping resources in circulation by designing packaging that can be included in so-called circular loops.
Overall principles of environmentally friendly packaging
- The packaging is material minimised
- The packaging is made of only one material (if possible)
- The packaging is easy to sort at source – possible to disassemble
- The packaging can be effectively included in the recycling process
- The packaging retains high value as a secondary raw material.